Video Gamer Play // 11:11 Memories Retold, released today, is a WW1 game ab...
11:11 Memories Retold, released today, is a WW1 game about normal people pushed into extraordinary events
We’re fast approaching remembrance day on the 11th of November – but this year, the commemorative events will be of particular significance. 2018 marks 100 years since the end of the First World War, and to honour the centenary, Aardman (along with DigixArt) has done something a little unusual.
11:11 Memories Retold releases today on PC, Xbox One and PS4, and tells the story of two men who venture to the front lines to fight in WWI. One is British, the other German, and both have entirely separate reasons for signing up. It’s a war drama that wants to give a more human perspective on a historical event often remembered for its industrial levels of killing – and it’s doing so with an incredibly striking art style.
Aardman, of course, is the animation studio known for creating Wallace and Gromit and Shawn the Sheep – making it an unusual contender for a game developer. The studio has produced one smaller game before, but this is the first time it’s taken on a larger development project. I spoke to the game’s creative director from Aardman, Dan Efergan, about the challenges of the game’s art style, and how the creators handled the complicated subject matter.
- Fortnite’s controversial glider re-deploy feature is being removed from all default game modes November 13, 2018
- Fran Bow dev’s deliciously sinister narrative adventure Little Misfortune gets first trailer November 13, 2018
- Dreamfall dev reveals new trailer for long-awaited psychological mystery Draugen November 13, 2018
- Beautiful underwater adventure Abzû is heading to Switch this month November 13, 2018
- Hitman 2 is a stunningly detailed game with some cool tech features November 13, 2018
- Official portable Nintendo Switch charger currently half-price November 13, 2018
- PUBG hits PS4 with Nathan Drake and Ellie items November 13, 2018
- Man finds Steam key-generating bug, Valve gives him £15,000 November 13, 2018
- Next Week’s Spider-Man DLC has a new trailer November 13, 2018
- Fallout 76 is live early November 13, 2018