Video Gamer Play // 11:11 Memories Retold, released today, is a WW1 game ab...
11:11 Memories Retold, released today, is a WW1 game about normal people pushed into extraordinary events
We’re fast approaching remembrance day on the 11th of November – but this year, the commemorative events will be of particular significance. 2018 marks 100 years since the end of the First World War, and to honour the centenary, Aardman (along with DigixArt) has done something a little unusual.
11:11 Memories Retold releases today on PC, Xbox One and PS4, and tells the story of two men who venture to the front lines to fight in WWI. One is British, the other German, and both have entirely separate reasons for signing up. It’s a war drama that wants to give a more human perspective on a historical event often remembered for its industrial levels of killing – and it’s doing so with an incredibly striking art style.
Aardman, of course, is the animation studio known for creating Wallace and Gromit and Shawn the Sheep – making it an unusual contender for a game developer. The studio has produced one smaller game before, but this is the first time it’s taken on a larger development project. I spoke to the game’s creative director from Aardman, Dan Efergan, about the challenges of the game’s art style, and how the creators handled the complicated subject matter.
- Forget the cube, Fortnite fans are now pondering a mysterious floating sphere January 15, 2019
- Pioneer, the space exploration game teased in Watch Dogs 2, is reportedly dead January 15, 2019
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’s battle royale mode Blackout is getting a seven-day free trial January 15, 2019
- Arabian Nights-inspired first-person rogue-lite City of Brass is coming to Switch January 15, 2019
- Just Dance is being turned into a film, for some reason January 15, 2019
- Nintendo won’t fire Russian boss after investigation into workplace conduct January 15, 2019
- Fortnite’s being sued again, this time by Orange Shirt Kid’s mum January 15, 2019
- Resident Evil 2 Remake takes Capcom’s RE engine to the next level January 15, 2019
- Switch deals: Bayonetta 2, Skyrim, Diablo 3 and Wolfenstein 2 for under £38 January 15, 2019
- Next Pokémon Go event returns fan-favourite raid bosses January 15, 2019