Video Gamer Play // 11:11 Memories Retold, released today, is a WW1 game ab...
11:11 Memories Retold, released today, is a WW1 game about normal people pushed into extraordinary events
We’re fast approaching remembrance day on the 11th of November – but this year, the commemorative events will be of particular significance. 2018 marks 100 years since the end of the First World War, and to honour the centenary, Aardman (along with DigixArt) has done something a little unusual.
11:11 Memories Retold releases today on PC, Xbox One and PS4, and tells the story of two men who venture to the front lines to fight in WWI. One is British, the other German, and both have entirely separate reasons for signing up. It’s a war drama that wants to give a more human perspective on a historical event often remembered for its industrial levels of killing – and it’s doing so with an incredibly striking art style.
Aardman, of course, is the animation studio known for creating Wallace and Gromit and Shawn the Sheep – making it an unusual contender for a game developer. The studio has produced one smaller game before, but this is the first time it’s taken on a larger development project. I spoke to the game’s creative director from Aardman, Dan Efergan, about the challenges of the game’s art style, and how the creators handled the complicated subject matter.
- Myst developer Kickstarting new steampunk VR puzzle adventure Firmament March 26, 2019
- Oxenfree follow-up Afterparty, Swery’s The Good Life and more set for Xbox Game Pass March 26, 2019
- EA confirms it’s laying off around 350 employees March 26, 2019
- RPG card-battler SteamWorld Quest gets an April release date on Switch March 26, 2019
- Two new Nintendo Switch models inspired by 3DS’ split evolution, sources say March 26, 2019
- Here are some of the best PC digital deals right now March 26, 2019
- The old Star Wars: Battlefront 2 headlines Xbox Games with Gold in April March 26, 2019
- First Streets of Rage 4 gameplay trailer shows off fiery fists of fury March 26, 2019
- Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled includes Crash Nitro Kart tracks, arenas and PS4-exclusive skins March 26, 2019
- Journey to the Savage Planet is a deeply unfashionable game, in the best possible way March 26, 2019