Video Gamer Play // And the next Mario-themed internet obsession is: indie ...
And the next Mario-themed internet obsession is: indie rock Rosalina
It’s been a busy couple of weeks for Nintendo’s characters (and their disturbingly eroticised hybrids) on the internet. First there was Donald Trump’s penile Toad, then Bowsette, and now the latest Mario universe star hovering on the brink of meme-dom: indie rock Rosalina.
Rosalina’s striking new look began garnering attention over the weekend when concept art from the Super Mario Odyssey art book (the same book that proved Nintendo had invented Bowsette way before the internet thought it did) was posted to the r/Nintendo. Unsurprisingly, fandom was immediately enthralled by the sight of everybody’s favourite intergalactic princess dressed down and grunged up.
It’s not just Rosalina’s new look that’s piqued fans’ interest, of course – many are curious to know what kind of role the character was originally intended to play in Super Mario Odyssey, given that she’s conspicuously absent in Mario’s latest adventure, despite the Mushroom Kingdom’s other two A-list princesses – Peach and Pauline – getting a plenty of airtime.
- Neon Switch with Pokémon: Let’s Go or Mario Kart for under £300 January 17, 2019
- The Grand Tour Game is a bad game, but an interesting vision for interactive TV January 17, 2019
- Bethesda cracks down on Fallout 76 accounts with illicit “developer room” items January 17, 2019
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Blackout gets respawn mode for the first time January 17, 2019
- Neon green and pink Joy-Con pair down to £58 January 17, 2019
- How Blood Bowl PC fanatics are taking player-run leagues to the extreme January 17, 2019
- Westworld mobile game that Bethesda called ‘blatant Fallout Shelter rip-off’ is closing down January 16, 2019
- Excellent Souls-inspired side-scroller Salt and Sanctuary is finally coming to Xbox One January 16, 2019
- The Division 2’s private beta gets a February start-date on Xbox One, PS4, and PC January 16, 2019
- Hitman developer IO Interactive is opening a new studio in Malmö, Sweden January 16, 2019