Video Gamer Play // Clarification amid backlash: Shenmue 3 will come to Ste...
Clarification amid backlash: Shenmue 3 will come to Steam
Predictably, not everybody was thrilled when Shenmue 3 was announced as an Epic Games Store exclusive on PC (he says, underplaying it wildly). The major sticking point was in Shenmue 3 being a crowdfunded game and a Steam release being heavily suggested and expected. Steam logos were on marketing materials, Steam game keys talked about in pledge tiers, and a Shenmue 3 Steam page has been around and updated for a long time. But as of last night, when the Epic Games Store announcement was made, this suddenly changed.
Whether or not you want to use the Epic Games Store is one thing, but another issue is the underlying trust in a developer which suddenly pivots like this. And trust was shaken further when Ys Net and Deep Silver, the publisher, refused to offer people refunds on their Kickstarter pledges.
“This is greedy and underhanded,” one fan wrote on Kickstarter – echoing a general sentiment. “If you won’t provide Steam keys than you had better offer a refund. That’s what decent campaigns do when they drop a platform.”
- Destiny 2 Google Stadia players can only play with other Stadia players at launch June 17, 2019
- You can no longer catch ’em all in Pokémon Sword and Shield June 17, 2019
- Blizzard asks survey respondents if they’re aware of plans to “squish” World of Warcraft’s max cap June 16, 2019
- Shenmue 3 dev is listening to fan “concerns” about Epic Game Store exclusivity June 16, 2019
- 7 months later, Bethesda has finally delivered the Fallout 76 canvas bags June 15, 2019
- 17 minutes of Frontier’s promising Planet Zoo – and a snippet of poo physics June 15, 2019
- Toonstruck is currently free on GOG.com June 15, 2019
- Bethesda extends Fallout 76 Nuclear Winter pre-beta June 15, 2019
- Treyarch nerfs controversial Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 DLC weapon June 15, 2019
- It looks like The Last of Us 2 is set for February 2020 June 15, 2019