Video Gamer Play // Crossing Souls review – pitch-perfect 80s nostalg...
Crossing Souls review – pitch-perfect 80s nostalgia trip
Beyond simply remembering and recreating history, some games make you pine for a past that never was. Crossing Souls is just such a renegade historian, taking you back to a childhood you only glimpsed in old Steven Spielberg movies. In truth, how many people wearing hazmat suits have you actually seen in real life? And do you know a single person who’s managed to evade the local law enforcement on a BMX? Reality simply isn’t made up of those scintillating set-pieces. Not in the 80s, and certainly never since. And yet the nostalgia’s there just the same.
More than that, though, it takes you back to that impossible time and place with a style of play that reminds you of countless treasured 16-bit titles, but in reality plays like none of them. It’s far more refined than any single title of the era it apes visually. Just like a great racing game handles the way you want a car to handle rather than the way it actually might, Crossing Souls is a journey to a past you wish existed.
Set in California during the summer of 1986, it begins when a gang of five instantly likeable kids find a mysterious stone clasped within a dead man’s hand, which lets them travel between the realm of the living and that of the dead. Naturally that discovery unfurls a tale of government conspiracy and supernatural warmongering, played out like A Link to the Past dip-dyed in cyan and magenta.
- Rocket League’s summer-themed Salty Shores update launches next week May 22, 2018
- Mario + Rabbids’ Donkey Kong story expansion is coming in June May 22, 2018
- Mike Bithell follows up Subsurface Circular with Quarantine Circular May 22, 2018
- Red Dead Redemption down to £8.24 in this week’s Xbox Deals with Gold May 22, 2018
- Tesco Direct shuts down in July May 22, 2018
- Hideo Kojima tweeted an image of Death Stranding and people are searching for clues in the dirt May 22, 2018
- Call of Duty YouTuber uses maths to work out the size of the Black Ops 4 battle royale map May 22, 2018
- New Halo: The Master Chief Collection update lets you download and install the bits you want May 22, 2018
- Epic to provide $100m for Fortnite esports prize pools May 22, 2018
- Now VR has battle royale May 22, 2018