Video Gamer Play // December’s PlayStation Plus games include SOMA an...
December’s PlayStation Plus games include SOMA and Onrush
Sony has announced its final batch of PlayStation Plus games for 2018 – and while it’s short on triple-A showstoppers, there’s a fine selection of titles to be found, including Frictional Games’ existential horror SOMA and on superb racer Onrush, both on PlayStation 4.
At first glance, Frictional’s SOMA, which released in 2015, looks to be a significant departure from the studio’s previous, heavily H. P. Lovecraft inspired games, including Amnesia: A Dark Descent and its The Chinese Room co-developed successor A Machine For Pigs.
And while SOMA’s futuristic sci-fi focus is certainly far removed from the classical gothic trappings of its predecessors, the Lovecraftian thread is unmistakable as it goes big on the existential terror. Its a game as much concerned with questions of identity and morality as it is big scary monsters – although you’ll find plenty of those too, unless you opt for the no-death Safe Mode) – but to say much more would be to rob SOMA of its power.
- Overwatch’s next hero is “eccentric astrophysicist” Sigma July 22, 2019
- It looks like Anthem’s long-awaited Cataclysm event is finally almost here July 22, 2019
- Nintendo faces Switch Joy-Con drift class action lawsuit July 22, 2019
- Yooka-Laylee sequel shows off its transforming level tech July 22, 2019
- Astral Chain could be Platinum’s most out there game yet July 22, 2019
- Indie FMV game Headspun has a release date for console and PC July 22, 2019
- EA quietly begins what looks like a Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 3 alpha July 22, 2019
- Two active F1 drivers just won iRacing’s Spa 24 July 22, 2019
- Splatoon 2’s final Splatfest sees chaos reign July 22, 2019
- Snack Hacks, a cookbook for people who like games, is a strange delight July 22, 2019