Video Gamer Play // How the next Doctor Who game attempts to rewrite the ru...
How the next Doctor Who game attempts to rewrite the rules of match-three puzzle games
Tiny Rebel Games, the creator of 2013’s Puzzle and Dragons-a-like Doctor Who Legacy, returns this year with a brand new Doctor Who game for PC and mobile.
While Legacy was a ‘greatest hits’ approach to Doctor Who’s vast, well, legacy – continuously updated over five years with new adversaries and companions from the series’ vast history – Doctor Who Infinity tells original stories of its own, with its match-three puzzles reflecting what’s happening along the way.
The opening episode, The Dalek Invasion of Time, starts with familiar gem-swapping territory, tasking you to match colours on a board to power up the Twelfth Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver to get you out of a bind. But from there, as the story changes, so do the rules of how you interact with each board of gems.
- Warframe’s massive open-world Venus expansion, Fortuna, is out next month on PC October 19, 2018
- PUBG’s Training Mode map is now available on Xbox One via the Public Test Server October 19, 2018
- Brooding co-operative action-RPG Ashen will be out by the end of this year, says dev October 19, 2018
- Agent 47 can dress up as a sinister scarecrow in Hitman’s free Hallowe’en DLC pack October 19, 2018
- Splash Damage is ending development on its free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb October 19, 2018
- Soulcalibur 6 review – a return to form that’s not without its flaws October 19, 2018
- UK mags GamesTM and GamesMaster shut down October 19, 2018
- PUBG’s PC Event Mode has been cancelled this week due to a “critical error” October 19, 2018
- PlayStation 4 exclusive Days Gone delayed October 19, 2018
- Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales review – a card game with the heart of a blockbuster October 19, 2018