Video Gamer Play // In the crazy economy of Red Dead Online, baked beans ar...
In the crazy economy of Red Dead Online, baked beans are more valuable than gold rings
Red Dead Online’s beta has been out for two days, and somewhat unsurprisingly, there’s already been a flurry of criticism regarding the way Rockstar has designed the game’s economy. Complaints have largely centred on the microtransactions (amusingly dubbed “micahtransactions” by the community), with many players claiming the premium currency is too difficult to earn.
But there are also significant issues with the game’s regular currency, as Red Dead Online’s economy is making it difficult for players to buy basic survival supplies. Even pawning off your family heirlooms won’t help, as baked beans are seemingly more valuable than gold rings. In Heinzsight, my beans on toast breakfast is looking pretty pricey.
The observation was made by Reddit user ConvictedWaffles. We checked it out ourselves, and indeed, gold wedding rings can be sold for a measly $1.10, while baked beans cost $1.20 (kidney beans are a pricier $1.50). The revelations didn’t end there, however, as other Reddit users began to highlight further injustices in the economy. Mauser pistols, for instance, only cost $35 in 1899, yet in Red Dead Online the guns require players to put forward a whopping $1000 – more like today’s prices for the antiques. In single-player, this gun costs a more reasonable $250, meaning Rockstar has increased the price by 300 per cent for the online mode.
- This Amnesia mod offers a new tale without the “chases, scares, or mind-bending monster encounters” February 17, 2019
- Tech Interview: Metro Exodus, ray tracing and the 4A Engine’s open world upgrades February 17, 2019
- Final Fantasy 15’s Regalia vehicle is coming to Forza Horizon. Again February 17, 2019
- Despite a promising demo, PSVR adventure game Eden Tomorrow ends up disappointing February 17, 2019
- A Final Fantasy 14 float is joining this year’s Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras February 17, 2019
- Here’s when you can swing Negan’s baseball bat, Lucille, in Tekken 7 February 17, 2019
- The past, present and future of OlliOlli February 17, 2019
- Respawn has already banned over 16,000 Apex Legends cheaters February 16, 2019
- FIFA 19 has a new cover – and Cristiano Ronaldo isn’t on it February 16, 2019
- Metro Exodus: a vision for the future of graphics technology February 16, 2019