Video Gamer Play // Journey to the Savage Planet is a deeply unfashionable ...
Journey to the Savage Planet is a deeply unfashionable game, in the best possible way
“In a sense,” says Alex Hutchinson, creative director of Journey to the Savage Planet, “this is a game for middle-aged people.” And in an instant, I’m sold.
“I want a game I can finish, I want a game that doesn’t take a thousand hours, I want a game that kind of reminds me of the Sega blue skies stuff, that I feel happy turning it on instead of being miserable and weighed down by things I don’t understand unless I’ve put in 100 hours. I don’t want an infinite game! I want it to finish!”
Alex is playing to the room, for sure – in this case, the room being a cozy hotel suite just on the outskirts of this year’s GDC, the audience a couple of men like myself with more than a dash of grey in their facial hair – but good god has he got a point. And he certainly knows what he’s talking about, having come from the world of triple-A development, alongside many of his team at the 25-strong Typhoon Studios, who count Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry and Army of Two – Army of Two! – among their past triumphs.
- Spider-Man PS4 dev reveals cool Easter egg no-one noticed April 20, 2019
- Epic has already banned thousands of Fortnite World Cup participants for cheating April 20, 2019
- Assassin’s Creed Unity players review-bomb Steam page with positivity April 20, 2019
- Leaked Days Gone gameplay doesn’t reveal much, but does give us a good idea of what to expect April 20, 2019
- Warner Bros. is trying to plug Mortal Kombat 11 leaks after street date is broken April 20, 2019
- Nintendo is deleting what it deems inappropriate Super Smash Bros. Ultimate stages April 20, 2019
- The mysterious world of Las Meninas April 20, 2019
- Falcon Age and Stranger’s Wrath: animals go to war April 19, 2019
- After 11 years of online antics, Burnout Paradise’s servers are shutting down April 18, 2019
- After nearly 12 years of online antics, Burnout Paradise’s servers are shutting down April 18, 2019