Video Gamer Play // Nintendo’s lost arcade oddity Sky Skipper is comi...
Nintendo’s lost arcade oddity Sky Skipper is coming to Switch
Nintendo has announced that it will be bringing its lost arcade curio Sky Skipper to Switch in July, as part of its Arcade Archives retro collection.
Sky Skipper released in 1981 and was a follow-up to Nintendo’s hugely successful Donkey Kong arcade game. It saw players piloting a bi-plane across four levels in a bid to rescue various members of a royal family from mischievous gorillas. Unfortunately, Sky Skipper’s reception was lukewarm at best, and Nintendo dropped the game in 1982. It’s believed to have repurposed all Sky Skipper arcade boards, converting them to play its now-classic Popeye game – and poor old Sky Skipper never even made it to the west.
Although ROMs of the machine, and even a Atari 2600 version, did eventually see a release, the only known existing Sky Skipper cabinet today sits squirrelled away in the bowels of Nintendo of America. It got an airing in 2016 as part of the Sky Skipper Project – in which Nintendo permitted several arcade enthusiasts and preservationists to scan and document the cabinet so that they could build their own and keep its legacy alive.
- Valve has made a new Portal demo June 22, 2018
- If Ubisoft wants to cling on to Clancy, it’s time to talk politics June 22, 2018
- Discord launches a Games tab and it’s basically Steam June 21, 2018
- Epic wants the Fortnite endgame to be more than “just build lol” June 21, 2018
- Here’s when you can download Life is Strange 2’s free prequel June 21, 2018
- Nintendo Switch and Xbox One Minecraft cross-platform trailer hammers home lack of PlayStation support June 21, 2018
- Pre-order Dragon Ball FighterZ on Nintendo Switch and you get obscure SNES game Dragon Ball Z: Super Butoden June 21, 2018
- You can play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in the UK next month June 21, 2018
- Criterion founders reveal two new games June 21, 2018
- Mario Tennis Aces has a day one download to unlock online tournaments June 21, 2018