Video Gamer Play // Nintendo’s lost arcade oddity Sky Skipper is comi...
Nintendo’s lost arcade oddity Sky Skipper is coming to Switch
Nintendo has announced that it will be bringing its lost arcade curio Sky Skipper to Switch in July, as part of its Arcade Archives retro collection.
Sky Skipper released in 1981 and was a follow-up to Nintendo’s hugely successful Donkey Kong arcade game. It saw players piloting a bi-plane across four levels in a bid to rescue various members of a royal family from mischievous gorillas. Unfortunately, Sky Skipper’s reception was lukewarm at best, and Nintendo dropped the game in 1982. It’s believed to have repurposed all Sky Skipper arcade boards, converting them to play its now-classic Popeye game – and poor old Sky Skipper never even made it to the west.
Although ROMs of the machine, and even a Atari 2600 version, did eventually see a release, the only known existing Sky Skipper cabinet today sits squirrelled away in the bowels of Nintendo of America. It got an airing in 2016 as part of the Sky Skipper Project – in which Nintendo permitted several arcade enthusiasts and preservationists to scan and document the cabinet so that they could build their own and keep its legacy alive.
- Assassin’s Creed 3 Remastered on Switch lacks most of the remastering work May 25, 2019
- Square Enix announces PS4 and Nintendo Switch remake of the PSP remake of the original Star Ocean May 25, 2019
- Ambitious Morrowind complete overhaul mod issues beefy update May 25, 2019
- As Battle.net removes Activision credit for Destiny 2, Bungie indicates it’ll soon discuss the “new era” May 25, 2019
- It looks like new Darksiders and Destroy All Humans games are set for E3 May 25, 2019
- Microsoft will soon release a purple Fortnite Xbox One S, new leak reveals May 25, 2019
- Bloodborne mod lets you play as any enemy – and Sekiro’s next May 25, 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11 pros are showing maximum disrespect with Mercy during the game’s first big tournament May 25, 2019
- Games that ask: what are cities? May 25, 2019
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night details extensive post-launch DLC plans May 24, 2019