Video Gamer Play // Resident Evil 2’s remake reveals its biggest star
Resident Evil 2’s remake reveals its biggest star
Resident Evil’s best character? Maybe you believe it’s Leon Kennedy, the floppy-haired fop, or perhaps you think it could be enigmatic badass Ada Wong. Well, I’m afraid you’re entirely wrong. The best character from throughout Resident Evil’s history is, without a single doubt, the Raccoon City Police Station.
Well, that’s what I reckon anyway, and playing through a few hours of the remake of Resident Evil 2 only strengthens my belief. What a strange, strange place this is, a maddeningly illogical crash of styles and secrets, and what a pleasure it was to get lost in its many mysteries during Capcom’s latest round of previews. Actually, what a pleasure it is to get properly lost in a video game again, having to constantly refer to the in-game map and my own dreadful sense of direction as I try to navigate from one side of the station to the other. This is gaming of a certain vintage.
Which is one of the most important things to note about this remake of Resident Evil 2. It’s a dramatic overhaul in the way it adopts the over-the-shoulder style of later games in the series – which doesn’t necessarily tip the flavour of this remake towards action, more that it makes the action that was always there a bit more palatable – yet in other ways it’s extremely faithful. This is, beneath all the bells and whistles, still the Resident Evil 2 you remember, and quite likely the one that you still hold a place in your heart for.
- This Amnesia mod offers a new tale without the “chases, scares, or mind-bending monster encounters” February 17, 2019
- Tech Interview: Metro Exodus, ray tracing and the 4A Engine’s open world upgrades February 17, 2019
- Final Fantasy 15’s Regalia vehicle is coming to Forza Horizon. Again February 17, 2019
- Despite a promising demo, PSVR adventure game Eden Tomorrow ends up disappointing February 17, 2019
- A Final Fantasy 14 float is joining this year’s Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras February 17, 2019
- Here’s when you can swing Negan’s baseball bat, Lucille, in Tekken 7 February 17, 2019
- The past, present and future of OlliOlli February 17, 2019
- Respawn has already banned over 16,000 Apex Legends cheaters February 16, 2019
- FIFA 19 has a new cover – and Cristiano Ronaldo isn’t on it February 16, 2019
- Metro Exodus: a vision for the future of graphics technology February 16, 2019