Video Gamer Play // Sonic the Hedgehog was almost designed to look like arc...
Sonic the Hedgehog was almost designed to look like arch nemesis Eggman
How Sonic the Hedgehog was conceived to help Sega compete against Nintendo in the early 90s was discussed during a postmortem for the original game at this year’s Game Developer Conference.
Most of the talk was about Sonic’s appearance came to be. Though the decision to make Sonic a hedgehog was seemingly a straightforward one – allowing him to deal damage by curling up into a ball and rolling around, designer Hirokazu Yasuhara explained – it actually wasn’t Sega’s only choice of character design.
“[Sega said] we definitely want to see something like an old guy with a moustache. We also want to see something like a hedgehog, or porcupine, as well as a dog-like character,” he told those at the talk, attended by Eurogamer.
- Here’s a glimpse at Battlefield 5 battle royale August 18, 2018
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is having a better time of it outside Steam August 18, 2018
- A mortgage broker worked out the real world cost of a house in Skyrim August 18, 2018
- This week’s best deals: Two-Point Hospital, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Geforce 1060 and more August 18, 2018
- FIFA 19 is going big on the Spanish league August 18, 2018
- Bungie makes a new, more accessible version of the hardest weapon to get in Destiny 2 August 18, 2018
- Valve accidentally launches Steam.tv early August 18, 2018
- Video games magazines and me August 18, 2018
- H1Z1 PS4 producer on spectacular launch, balancing and what comes next August 17, 2018
- Buy Super Mario Party from the Nintendo Store, get a free lamp August 17, 2018