Video Gamer Play // Sonic the Hedgehog was almost designed to look like arc...
Sonic the Hedgehog was almost designed to look like arch nemesis Eggman
How Sonic the Hedgehog was conceived to help Sega compete against Nintendo in the early 90s was discussed during a postmortem for the original game at this year’s Game Developer Conference.
Most of the talk was about Sonic’s appearance came to be. Though the decision to make Sonic a hedgehog was seemingly a straightforward one – allowing him to deal damage by curling up into a ball and rolling around, designer Hirokazu Yasuhara explained – it actually wasn’t Sega’s only choice of character design.
“[Sega said] we definitely want to see something like an old guy with a moustache. We also want to see something like a hedgehog, or porcupine, as well as a dog-like character,” he told those at the talk, attended by Eurogamer.
- Warframe’s massive open-world Venus expansion, Fortuna, is out next month on PC October 19, 2018
- PUBG’s Training Mode map is now available on Xbox One via the Public Test Server October 19, 2018
- Brooding co-operative action-RPG Ashen will be out by the end of this year, says dev October 19, 2018
- Agent 47 can dress up as a sinister scarecrow in Hitman’s free Hallowe’en DLC pack October 19, 2018
- Splash Damage is ending development on its free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb October 19, 2018
- Soulcalibur 6 review – a return to form that’s not without its flaws October 19, 2018
- UK mags GamesTM and GamesMaster shut down October 19, 2018
- PUBG’s PC Event Mode has been cancelled this week due to a “critical error” October 19, 2018
- PlayStation 4 exclusive Days Gone delayed October 19, 2018
- Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales review – a card game with the heart of a blockbuster October 19, 2018