Video Gamer Play // Sonic the Hedgehog was almost designed to look like arc...
Sonic the Hedgehog was almost designed to look like arch nemesis Eggman
How Sonic the Hedgehog was conceived to help Sega compete against Nintendo in the early 90s was discussed during a postmortem for the original game at this year’s Game Developer Conference.
Most of the talk was about Sonic’s appearance came to be. Though the decision to make Sonic a hedgehog was seemingly a straightforward one – allowing him to deal damage by curling up into a ball and rolling around, designer Hirokazu Yasuhara explained – it actually wasn’t Sega’s only choice of character design.
“[Sega said] we definitely want to see something like an old guy with a moustache. We also want to see something like a hedgehog, or porcupine, as well as a dog-like character,” he told those at the talk, attended by Eurogamer.
- Why Hideo Kojima fans reckon Death Stranding is set in Iceland May 26, 2018
- City 17 from Half-Life 2 as a city map May 26, 2018
- Microsoft stealth-releases new PC racing game Miami Street May 26, 2018
- This week’s best deals: Xbox One X bundles, Splatoon amiibo, NES Classic and more May 26, 2018
- Epic issues Fortnite scam warning as free V-Bucks videos flood YouTube May 26, 2018
- Don’t worry Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland fans, you can go to the World Cup in FIFA 18 May 26, 2018
- Samsung adds FreeSync support to select 4K TVs May 26, 2018
- DICE boss says Battlefield V’s women are here to stay May 26, 2018
- Why small choices matter when it comes to character creation in RPGs May 26, 2018
- Telltale Games delays The Wolf Among Us’ second season into 2019 May 25, 2018