Video Gamer Play // Steel Rats is an unabashed B movie of a game
Steel Rats is an unabashed B movie of a game
Video games have a funny way of identifying different scales of productions. You’ve got triple-A and double-A, and now there’s even some unsightly speak of ‘triple-I’, indie games with lavish production values of their own. Sometimes, you’ve just got to keep it simple though, as is the case with Steel Rats. This is an unabashed B movie of a game, a William Castle schlockathon of disparate parts that developer Tate Multimedia can’t always get to hang together. But good lord is it fun to see them try.
Steel Rats – which is out now on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is a little bit Trials, a pseudo-2D scroller in which you balance your bike through various courses. It’s also a little bit Limbo and Inside, a narrative told in beautiful dioramas that pass by in the background, glimpses of recently abandoned cityscapes or industrialised outskirts. Then you’ve got to factor in an aesthetic that’s part 50s biker cool, part 40s art deco and a fair slick of steampunk to try and grease it all together.
And then, when you play it, you realise there’s also a little Sonic the Hedgehog in the way it hurtles you through stages, a little Streets of Rage in how you’re rinsing mobs of robots (oh, I forgot to say – Steel Rats is a little bit post-apocalypse, too, with a tale of alien invasion that’s told as if the Hell’s Angels had deposited themselves in Orson Welles’ radio drama War of the Worlds).
- Fortnite’s controversial glider re-deploy feature is being removed from all default game modes November 13, 2018
- Fran Bow dev’s deliciously sinister narrative adventure Little Misfortune gets first trailer November 13, 2018
- Dreamfall dev reveals new trailer for long-awaited psychological mystery Draugen November 13, 2018
- Beautiful underwater adventure Abzû is heading to Switch this month November 13, 2018
- Hitman 2 is a stunningly detailed game with some cool tech features November 13, 2018
- Official portable Nintendo Switch charger currently half-price November 13, 2018
- PUBG hits PS4 with Nathan Drake and Ellie items November 13, 2018
- Man finds Steam key-generating bug, Valve gives him £15,000 November 13, 2018
- Next Week’s Spider-Man DLC has a new trailer November 13, 2018
- Fallout 76 is live early November 13, 2018