Video Gamer Play // Tencent expanding real-name verification to all its Chi...
Tencent expanding real-name verification to all its Chinese games in screen time crackdown
If you’re a youth in China who just wants to have a bit of extra gaming time, the past few months haven’t brought much in the way of good news. After Tencent had its licence for Monster Hunter World revoked, President Xi Jinping announced the government would regulate the amount of games approved and the amount of hours children can play – apparently to protect children’s eyes. Shortly afterwards, Tencent announced it would use government data to enforce limited play times for children for its game Honour of Kings (also known as Arena of Valor in the west).
But the changes aren’t stopping there, as real-name verification is due to expand to more of Tencent’s games in China, leaving kids with few options if they want to go on any gaming binges.
The news was announced in a social media post by Tencent on Weibo – China’s main social media platform. According to Tencent (with the help of Google Translate), the ID check system has been successfully implemented in Honour of Kings, and will be rolled out to all of its games in 2019, starting with nine other mobile titles by the end of this year. Rebranded as the “health system,” Tencent reiterated the purpose of the limits is to “better protect the health of minors” and also help prevent the sale of personal information online (via Bloomberg).
- Uncanny games with hidden rooms March 24, 2019
- In-game tributes paid to “amazing” Minecraft server owner who died of cancer March 23, 2019
- Five months after launch, Super Mario Party finally gets its first update March 23, 2019
- Apple reportedly working on premium games subscription for the App Store March 23, 2019
- Persona 5: The Royal announced, stars a mysterious new female character March 23, 2019
- Popular Halo PC mod isn’t going anywhere, its creators say March 23, 2019
- Final fantasy 14’s Shadowbringers expansion lets you be a Dancer March 23, 2019
- Even for SoulsBorne fans, Sekiro is not messing about March 23, 2019
- Destiny 2’s Enhancement Cores to get a much-needed shot in the arm March 23, 2019
- Why can’t video games get shoulders right? March 23, 2019