Video Gamer Play // Tencent expanding real-name verification to all its Chi...
Tencent expanding real-name verification to all its Chinese games in screen time crackdown
If you’re a youth in China who just wants to have a bit of extra gaming time, the past few months haven’t brought much in the way of good news. After Tencent had its licence for Monster Hunter World revoked, President Xi Jinping announced the government would regulate the amount of games approved and the amount of hours children can play – apparently to protect children’s eyes. Shortly afterwards, Tencent announced it would use government data to enforce limited play times for children for its game Honour of Kings (also known as Arena of Valor in the west).
But the changes aren’t stopping there, as real-name verification is due to expand to more of Tencent’s games in China, leaving kids with few options if they want to go on any gaming binges.
The news was announced in a social media post by Tencent on Weibo – China’s main social media platform. According to Tencent (with the help of Google Translate), the ID check system has been successfully implemented in Honour of Kings, and will be rolled out to all of its games in 2019, starting with nine other mobile titles by the end of this year. Rebranded as the “health system,” Tencent reiterated the purpose of the limits is to “better protect the health of minors” and also help prevent the sale of personal information online (via Bloomberg).
- Fortnite’s controversial glider re-deploy feature is being removed from all default game modes November 13, 2018
- Fran Bow dev’s deliciously sinister narrative adventure Little Misfortune gets first trailer November 13, 2018
- Dreamfall dev reveals new trailer for long-awaited psychological mystery Draugen November 13, 2018
- Beautiful underwater adventure Abzû is heading to Switch this month November 13, 2018
- Hitman 2 is a stunningly detailed game with some cool tech features November 13, 2018
- Official portable Nintendo Switch charger currently half-price November 13, 2018
- PUBG hits PS4 with Nathan Drake and Ellie items November 13, 2018
- Man finds Steam key-generating bug, Valve gives him £15,000 November 13, 2018
- Next Week’s Spider-Man DLC has a new trailer November 13, 2018
- Fallout 76 is live early November 13, 2018