Video Gamer Play // The 10th annual Desert Bus for Hope charity game marath...
The 10th annual Desert Bus for Hope charity game marathon is underway
The Desert Bus for Hope video game charity marathon kicked off its tenth annual campaign this past weekend and has already raised nearly $158,000 for Child’s Play. The event doesn’t have a set end date. Instead, volunteers will keep streaming as long as total donations reach a certain hourly milestone.
The charity was named for the Desert Bus mini-game in the unreleased Sega CD game Penn & Teller’s Smoke and Mirrors, which the Desert Bus for Hope participants will be playing for the entire duration of the charity event.
The minigame requires players to drive a bus for eight actual hours on the highway between Tucson and Las Vegas. Volunteers fill the time while playing with on-stream interviews, contests, auctions, and the occasional spontaneous dance party.
During last year’s event, the charity raised $684,000 and played for 159 hours. Since its first event in 2007, Desert Bus for Hope has become the longest running internet-based fundraiser and has raised over $3.1 million dollars.
- Assassin’s Creed 3 Remastered on Switch lacks most of the remastering work May 25, 2019
- Square Enix announces PS4 and Nintendo Switch remake of the PSP remake of the original Star Ocean May 25, 2019
- Ambitious Morrowind complete overhaul mod issues beefy update May 25, 2019
- As Battle.net removes Activision credit for Destiny 2, Bungie indicates it’ll soon discuss the “new era” May 25, 2019
- It looks like new Darksiders and Destroy All Humans games are set for E3 May 25, 2019
- Microsoft will soon release a purple Fortnite Xbox One S, new leak reveals May 25, 2019
- Bloodborne mod lets you play as any enemy – and Sekiro’s next May 25, 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11 pros are showing maximum disrespect with Mercy during the game’s first big tournament May 25, 2019
- Games that ask: what are cities? May 25, 2019
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night details extensive post-launch DLC plans May 24, 2019