Video Gamer Play // The Culling 2’s Battle Royale flop forces “...
The Culling 2’s Battle Royale flop forces “difficult discussions” about future of developer
Xaviant, developer of Battle Royale title The Culling 2 has tweeted that it will be having “some admittedly difficult discussions about the future of our studio”, following a 48-hour launch period in which the game’s active userbase dwindled to single digits.
The Culling 2 released on Tuesday, July 10th, and was immediately besieged by series fans upset that Xaviant had turned its attention to a sequel a little over nine months after its generally well-received predecessor left Steam early access.
The game is currently ranked “Mostly Negative” on its Steam reviews page, with users lambasting the sequel for its reportedly poor launch state, and calling it a “cash grab” following its change in direction; The Culling 2 ditches the first game’s intimate scope, and unique mix of survival-style crafting and melee-focussed combat, in favour of a more traditional guns-and-glory Battle Royale template, more akin to a PUBG/H1Z1 hybrid.
- Guerrilla Games wants to release games faster July 19, 2018
- What it’s like being a low-level streamer July 19, 2018
- Mario Tennis Aces update nerfs Bowser Jr. following complaints July 18, 2018
- Two Point Hospital books in a release date July 18, 2018
- “All-new Xbox hardware” to be shown at Gamescom July 18, 2018
- South Park: The Stick of Truth headed to Nintendo Switch, months after its sequel July 18, 2018
- Octopath Traveler: a 90s-style JPRG brought to life with cutting-edge tech July 18, 2018
- The Game Accessibility Conference arrives in Paris this October July 18, 2018
- Jonathan Blow shows more footage of his new Sokoban-inspired game July 18, 2018
- World of Warcraft and all current expansions now included in subscription July 18, 2018