Video Gamer Play // The Culling 2’s Battle Royale flop forces “...
The Culling 2’s Battle Royale flop forces “difficult discussions” about future of developer
Xaviant, developer of Battle Royale title The Culling 2 has tweeted that it will be having “some admittedly difficult discussions about the future of our studio”, following a 48-hour launch period in which the game’s active userbase dwindled to single digits.
The Culling 2 released on Tuesday, July 10th, and was immediately besieged by series fans upset that Xaviant had turned its attention to a sequel a little over nine months after its generally well-received predecessor left Steam early access.
The game is currently ranked “Mostly Negative” on its Steam reviews page, with users lambasting the sequel for its reportedly poor launch state, and calling it a “cash grab” following its change in direction; The Culling 2 ditches the first game’s intimate scope, and unique mix of survival-style crafting and melee-focussed combat, in favour of a more traditional guns-and-glory Battle Royale template, more akin to a PUBG/H1Z1 hybrid.
- This Amnesia mod offers a new tale without the “chases, scares, or mind-bending monster encounters” February 17, 2019
- Tech Interview: Metro Exodus, ray tracing and the 4A Engine’s open world upgrades February 17, 2019
- Final Fantasy 15’s Regalia vehicle is coming to Forza Horizon. Again February 17, 2019
- Despite a promising demo, PSVR adventure game Eden Tomorrow ends up disappointing February 17, 2019
- A Final Fantasy 14 float is joining this year’s Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras February 17, 2019
- Here’s when you can swing Negan’s baseball bat, Lucille, in Tekken 7 February 17, 2019
- The past, present and future of OlliOlli February 17, 2019
- Respawn has already banned over 16,000 Apex Legends cheaters February 16, 2019
- FIFA 19 has a new cover – and Cristiano Ronaldo isn’t on it February 16, 2019
- Metro Exodus: a vision for the future of graphics technology February 16, 2019