Video Gamer Play // We need to talk about Kassandra(‘s biceps)
We need to talk about Kassandra(‘s biceps)
Oooft, those arms. Since Ubisoft unveiled her I’m certain there’s been many men and women dreaming of those incredible, muscular arms. I am of course talking about Assassin’s Creed Odyssey’s female protagonist Kassandra. A mercenary in Ancient Greece, both she and her brother Alexios are in peak physical condition, each of them a lean, mean, killing machine. Yet it’s Kassandra’s body that fascinates me. And not just because I’d love to be wrapped in those big, strong…well. Ahem.
You see Kassandra is a little bit different for a leading woman in a video game. Compared with most heroines she’s an outright anomaly. She doesn’t wear makeup, her hair is in tangles and her body is riddled with scars. Lara Croft might have gone through the wars in her recent reboot trilogy but she came away with no more than a dainty little scratch on her cheek. Kassandra has scars everywhere, big ones over her collarbone, on her arms but also dozens of little ones, several on her face. Her body looks lived in. She looks like she lives the life the game claims she does.
See where even the baddest of badass women in gaming manage to maintain a strong feminine silhouette, Kassandra is, dare I say it, masculine. Those broad shoulders, lack of a pronounced chest, large hands and narrow hips…she’s not like most female game characters. Even the armour she wears is devoid of the usual “boob armour”. Instead Kassandra wears what the men do and wears it damn well. There’s a fantastic scene some way in where she must attend a symposium (aka a party) and can choose to wear a dress. In it, she looks firmly out of place and deeply uncomfortable. It reflects her life as an impoverished mercenary as much as anything but Kassandra also stands a good head taller than most of the women around her. Most of the men for that matter. She’s physically imposing in a way most video game women never get to be. For me, it was so affirming to see this tall, awkward woman at the forefront of a big budget title with the game itself seeming to acknowledge this facet of her physicality.
- Fortnite’s controversial glider re-deploy feature is being removed from all default game modes November 13, 2018
- Fran Bow dev’s deliciously sinister narrative adventure Little Misfortune gets first trailer November 13, 2018
- Dreamfall dev reveals new trailer for long-awaited psychological mystery Draugen November 13, 2018
- Beautiful underwater adventure Abzû is heading to Switch this month November 13, 2018
- Hitman 2 is a stunningly detailed game with some cool tech features November 13, 2018
- Official portable Nintendo Switch charger currently half-price November 13, 2018
- PUBG hits PS4 with Nathan Drake and Ellie items November 13, 2018
- Man finds Steam key-generating bug, Valve gives him £15,000 November 13, 2018
- Next Week’s Spider-Man DLC has a new trailer November 13, 2018
- Fallout 76 is live early November 13, 2018