Video Gamer Play // What it’s like being a low-level streamer
What it’s like being a low-level streamer
Streaming video games is big business for some. Tyler “Ninja” Blevins reportedly makes $500,000 a month playing Fortnite on Twitch. But for the vast majority of streamers, barely anyone’s watching, and precious few are paying. For the vast majority, streaming is a hobby. For others, it’s the hope of something bigger – a bigger audience, perhaps, more views, more comments and, of course, more money.
So, what’s it like being a low-level streamer hoping to hit the big time? How does committing to at least trying to make something out of streaming affect your life, your relationships, your day to day? For 29 year-old Admiral Peach, an Ark fan whose streams get around 20-something concurrent viewers, it’s a juggling act. She streamed for 93 hours in the 30 days up to mid July 2018, but she also has a part-time job and a relationship. There’s a lot going on. This is her story.
You might expect a streamer to have played games their whole life. This isn’t the case for Admiral Peach. Though she’s now based in Oxfordshire, she’s made a few moves over the years, from her birthplace in India, to County Westmeath in Ireland when she was seven. Like many of us, she developed her love of gaming while growing up, but it wasn’t from an early age. She remembers looking on enviously for years as her friends got consoles. Eventually, she managed to convince her parents to buy a PlayStation One and the fire was lit.
- Westworld mobile game that Bethesda called ‘blatant Fallout Shelter rip-off’ is closing down January 16, 2019
- Excellent Souls-inspired side-scroller Salt and Sanctuary is finally coming to Xbox One January 16, 2019
- The Division 2’s private beta gets a February start-date on Xbox One, PS4, and PC January 16, 2019
- Hitman developer IO Interactive is opening a new studio in Malmö, Sweden January 16, 2019
- PlayStation 4 Pro with Spider-Man or Red Dead for £349 January 16, 2019
- We Happy Few, Shadow of Mordor among next Xbox Game Pass additions January 16, 2019
- Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes review – a banal bore of a game January 16, 2019
- Nintendo-licensed 128GB microSD card down to £30 January 16, 2019
- EA’s open-world Star Wars game canned in favour of smaller project January 16, 2019
- Ubisoft sorry for shock Assassin’s Creed Odyssey DLC twist which ignores player choice January 16, 2019