Video Gamer Play // Where have all the World War 1 and 2 flight sims gone?
Where have all the World War 1 and 2 flight sims gone?
As someone who lives and breathes games a bit more than most, it’s refreshing to talk to friends who have only a passing interest in the subject. Sometimes, it leads to a revelation that just didn’t occur to me before. Like, what happened to World War 1 and World War 2 flight sims? A few years back – okay, a fair few years back – they used to be everywhere, as a good friend pointed out to me one evening when we were talking about games from our youth. He had fond memories of such games and I, well, I’d completely forgotten they’d even existed because I’d moved onto other genres. There’s always that rush to move into the next big thing, isn’t there? As I thought of my enjoyable experiences, however, the memories came flooding back. And my friend has a good point. They were very good, so what on earth happened to them?
The early 90s are what I would consider to be their heyday. While perhaps not as ubiquitous as more traditional gaming fodder, I can remember peering at various flight sim game boxes in my local Smiths alongside my dad. A history buff and former soldier, Dad loved the idea of flying planes in war-time scenarios and blowing stuff up. In a purely fictional sense, of course. Except, he really wasn’t very good at games so it came down to me to do the ‘hard’ work while he directed and watched me negotiate whatever I happened to be tackling.
Red Baron was one of the most iconic games of the time. Given a choice of flying for the German Air Service or the Royal Flying Corps, you’d invariably find yourself opting to go the German route just so you could fly in Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen’s squadron – otherwise known as the Red Baron. Sounds rather cool, doesn’t it? Not that we should be glorifying war, but we’ll skim past that for a moment.
- Forget the cube, Fortnite fans are now pondering a mysterious floating sphere January 15, 2019
- Pioneer, the space exploration game teased in Watch Dogs 2, is reportedly dead January 15, 2019
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4’s battle royale mode Blackout is getting a seven-day free trial January 15, 2019
- Arabian Nights-inspired first-person rogue-lite City of Brass is coming to Switch January 15, 2019
- Just Dance is being turned into a film, for some reason January 15, 2019
- Nintendo won’t fire Russian boss after investigation into workplace conduct January 15, 2019
- Fortnite’s being sued again, this time by Orange Shirt Kid’s mum January 15, 2019
- Resident Evil 2 Remake takes Capcom’s RE engine to the next level January 15, 2019
- Switch deals: Bayonetta 2, Skyrim, Diablo 3 and Wolfenstein 2 for under £38 January 15, 2019
- Next Pokémon Go event returns fan-favourite raid bosses January 15, 2019