Video Gamer Play // Where have all the World War 1 and 2 flight sims gone?
Where have all the World War 1 and 2 flight sims gone?
As someone who lives and breathes games a bit more than most, it’s refreshing to talk to friends who have only a passing interest in the subject. Sometimes, it leads to a revelation that just didn’t occur to me before. Like, what happened to World War 1 and World War 2 flight sims? A few years back – okay, a fair few years back – they used to be everywhere, as a good friend pointed out to me one evening when we were talking about games from our youth. He had fond memories of such games and I, well, I’d completely forgotten they’d even existed because I’d moved onto other genres. There’s always that rush to move into the next big thing, isn’t there? As I thought of my enjoyable experiences, however, the memories came flooding back. And my friend has a good point. They were very good, so what on earth happened to them?
The early 90s are what I would consider to be their heyday. While perhaps not as ubiquitous as more traditional gaming fodder, I can remember peering at various flight sim game boxes in my local Smiths alongside my dad. A history buff and former soldier, Dad loved the idea of flying planes in war-time scenarios and blowing stuff up. In a purely fictional sense, of course. Except, he really wasn’t very good at games so it came down to me to do the ‘hard’ work while he directed and watched me negotiate whatever I happened to be tackling.
Red Baron was one of the most iconic games of the time. Given a choice of flying for the German Air Service or the Royal Flying Corps, you’d invariably find yourself opting to go the German route just so you could fly in Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen’s squadron – otherwise known as the Red Baron. Sounds rather cool, doesn’t it? Not that we should be glorifying war, but we’ll skim past that for a moment.
- Fortnite’s controversial glider re-deploy feature is being removed from all default game modes November 13, 2018
- Fran Bow dev’s deliciously sinister narrative adventure Little Misfortune gets first trailer November 13, 2018
- Dreamfall dev reveals new trailer for long-awaited psychological mystery Draugen November 13, 2018
- Beautiful underwater adventure Abzû is heading to Switch this month November 13, 2018
- Hitman 2 is a stunningly detailed game with some cool tech features November 13, 2018
- Official portable Nintendo Switch charger currently half-price November 13, 2018
- PUBG hits PS4 with Nathan Drake and Ellie items November 13, 2018
- Man finds Steam key-generating bug, Valve gives him £15,000 November 13, 2018
- Next Week’s Spider-Man DLC has a new trailer November 13, 2018
- Fallout 76 is live early November 13, 2018