Video Gamer Play // Where have all the World War 1 and 2 flight sims gone?
Where have all the World War 1 and 2 flight sims gone?
As someone who lives and breathes games a bit more than most, it’s refreshing to talk to friends who have only a passing interest in the subject. Sometimes, it leads to a revelation that just didn’t occur to me before. Like, what happened to World War 1 and World War 2 flight sims? A few years back – okay, a fair few years back – they used to be everywhere, as a good friend pointed out to me one evening when we were talking about games from our youth. He had fond memories of such games and I, well, I’d completely forgotten they’d even existed because I’d moved onto other genres. There’s always that rush to move into the next big thing, isn’t there? As I thought of my enjoyable experiences, however, the memories came flooding back. And my friend has a good point. They were very good, so what on earth happened to them?
The early 90s are what I would consider to be their heyday. While perhaps not as ubiquitous as more traditional gaming fodder, I can remember peering at various flight sim game boxes in my local Smiths alongside my dad. A history buff and former soldier, Dad loved the idea of flying planes in war-time scenarios and blowing stuff up. In a purely fictional sense, of course. Except, he really wasn’t very good at games so it came down to me to do the ‘hard’ work while he directed and watched me negotiate whatever I happened to be tackling.
Red Baron was one of the most iconic games of the time. Given a choice of flying for the German Air Service or the Royal Flying Corps, you’d invariably find yourself opting to go the German route just so you could fly in Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen’s squadron – otherwise known as the Red Baron. Sounds rather cool, doesn’t it? Not that we should be glorifying war, but we’ll skim past that for a moment.
- Blizzard to remove option to buy loot boxes with real money from Heroes of the Storm March 24, 2019
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds wants you to celebrate its second anniversary with this free in-game item March 24, 2019
- One more character will drop before the end of Apex Legends’ first battle pass season March 24, 2019
- Space Junkies PSVR open beta shows promise, shame about the control scheme March 24, 2019
- Is The Division 2 sending secret messages via flashing lights and Morse code? March 24, 2019
- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is already Steam’s fourth most-played game March 24, 2019
- Death Stranding hits a “critical phase” as Kojima plays the game “every day” on PS4 March 24, 2019
- Uncanny games with hidden rooms March 24, 2019
- In-game tributes paid to “amazing” Minecraft server owner who died of cancer March 23, 2019
- Five months after launch, Super Mario Party finally gets its first update March 23, 2019