Video Gamer Play // Without need for reinvention, Super Smash Bros. Ultimat...
Without need for reinvention, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate does the only thing it can
It’s hard to imagine Super Smash Bros. Ultimate being the final entry in Nintendo’s ridiculously popular fighting series, but it’s also hard to imagine what else Nintendo could now do to better it. Without any need to reinvent itself, what else can Smash do but simply get bigger?
The Wii U version of Smash righted many of the perceived gameplay wrongs from the series’ unloved Wii entry Brawl, it was welcomed by the series’ hardcore fan community, and is still played (alongside Melee) to huge audiences at tournaments like Evo. And so here we are, with Nintendo announcing today during its E3 2018 Direct broadcast that it would fill Ultimate’s roster with every character ever playable, in order to create a seemingly definitive version of its series.
It’s a dizzying sell for Ultimate’s package. It means Ultimate will include no less than three Links, Pichu, the long-lost Wolf, the fan-favourite Ice Climbers, and the return of David Hayter as a playable Solid Snake. But there were the new character announcements, too: the Inklings, Daisy (an “echo” character of Peach) and the long, long requested Ridley. Further new additions would be thinner on the ground, series boss Masahiro Sakurai cautioned.
- Assassin’s Creed 3 Remastered on Switch lacks most of the remastering work May 25, 2019
- Square Enix announces PS4 and Nintendo Switch remake of the PSP remake of the original Star Ocean May 25, 2019
- Ambitious Morrowind complete overhaul mod issues beefy update May 25, 2019
- As Battle.net removes Activision credit for Destiny 2, Bungie indicates it’ll soon discuss the “new era” May 25, 2019
- It looks like new Darksiders and Destroy All Humans games are set for E3 May 25, 2019
- Microsoft will soon release a purple Fortnite Xbox One S, new leak reveals May 25, 2019
- Bloodborne mod lets you play as any enemy – and Sekiro’s next May 25, 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11 pros are showing maximum disrespect with Mercy during the game’s first big tournament May 25, 2019
- Games that ask: what are cities? May 25, 2019
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night details extensive post-launch DLC plans May 24, 2019